Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I was looking honda mechanic when I logged in and the

Customer Question

I was looking for a honda mechanic when I logged in and the website didn't even have the category for a honda certified tech.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a 2001 honda civic dx. It has a manual transmission. I am trying to put in a main relay. I think I may have found the location and have pictures, I think it is behind the glove box. I am really confused here as to what I am replacing. I want to make sure that I have found the right location. There is a diagram up at this link:http://www.justanswer.com/honda/1z5je-honda-civic-fuel-pump-relay-location-wiring-diagram.html which is similar to mine. I am needing help with instructions on how to put it in, (but first I have to make sure I ordered the right part), and I also need a diagram of the location of it please. Here is a link to the part that I ordered:
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?ssq=fuel+pump+relay&year=2001&make=HondaI have attached a photo of the location I think the fuel relay is in. I have already taken the glove box out. I am wondering why both relays are different colors on the photo I uploaded, I thought they both were supposed to be blue. Thank you in advance. I put this in the lexus category as there is no category for honda civic dx.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 8 months ago.

Please don't get upset, but since we never know what's on our customers mind when they post their requests, we need to ask questions that might seem unnecessary:

• do you just want the location of the main relay?
  • do you want help in testing the main relay?
  • do you want help in diagnosing why the engine won't start?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Juan and thank you for helping! No question is unnecessary as an online mechanic trying to help in diagnosing a problem.
1. Do you just want the location of the relay? No, I want to replace it.
2. Do you want help in testing the main relay? I am replacing it so that will be ruled out and no testing will be necessary.
3. Do you want help in diagnosing why the engine won't start? Yes, if it is just a few simple steps, if replacing the main relay does not work. It has a new fuel pump (even though that does not mean anything if it wasn't installed correctly or if it is defective). So basically we are back to what I stated in the beginning with the attached photo.

The Blue relay is actually the main relay (PGM-FI Main relay 1); the Brown one sitting right next to it is actually a fuel pump relay, even though Honda calls it Main Relay #2.

The main relay energizes first, then its circuit energizes the fuel pump relay.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Juan. Could you please give me instructions on changing them. I don't want to break anything. I guess I will change both of them out. From what I can see they are both attached by wires and it appears that they don't pull out and they are attached to a white box that has a bunch of wires.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What I meant by pull out is (like plugging something into an outlet with prongs).

Well, they do pull out. It's kind of a hard pull, since each relay is secured in place by a couple of plastic tabs. I can tell you from past experiences that it won't pull out unless your hands are clean and dry - or, if you don't mind breaking the old one, just grab it with a pair of pliers like you would a bad tooth ;-p

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wonderful! Thank you. I am going to try and pull them out, but I don't want to break them. Is there something I press to release them or do I just pull them straight out?

Yes, pull them straight out.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Juan, I actually went to pull a part and practiced pulling one out, lol! Then I did mine. You are correct it is a hard pull! It actually broke. I only replaced the (PGM-FI Main relay 1) which is the blue relay. I had ordered the part already and was not familiar with the (brown) fuel pump relay. I need to charge the battery also. My vehicle is still not starting. I am going to order the brown fuel pump relay and replace that one as well. There is supposed to be a new fuel pump on it, but when I put the key in position 2 (position before starting it), I don't hear the fuel pump. I am going to replace the fuses as well. In the meantime, I am attaching a 2 page diagram just incase someone else has this problem and would like to know the location of the relays. I have also attached a fuse diagram. It appears to be correct, but I want to make sure it is the correct one. Could you please tell me if it is the correct one? If you have any suggestions in the order that I should do things in, please advise. I definitely am going to replace the brown fuse and the fuses first. Thank you so much in advance.

Hi again. Just saw your reply and I'm glad to see the information I provided helped you solve your issue. So I would very much appreciate it if you would kindly accept and rate my answer now.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Juan: My issue is not solved. I asked some questions that were not answered in my last reply. I also have an additional question. I was also wondering if I ordered a new fuel relay (brown one) is it possible that they are making the fuel relay that use to be brown (blue)? Thank you

Well, from the very beginning I've been trying to help you. I just need you to tell me exactly how, as long as you take into consideration the fact that I can only provide technical guidance - tools and the skills to use them are on you.

The color of the relays was something Honda used for production purposes. Replacement relays might come in other colors and be equally effective.

I've reread your posts and cannot find those other questions you say went unanswered; could you post them again?

I did see where you post "I am attaching a 2 page diagram just incase someone else has this problem and would like to know the location of the relays.", which made me wonder whether or not you realize this is a pay site, not a forum.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear *****: That is not the way to speak to a customer and I would like to work with a new expert. You have one rating and one star is pretty bad.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You also gave me wrong information. There are tabs that pull apart so that when you pull the relays out, they don't break and are easy to get out. Once again, I would like to work with a new expert.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Specially when I did mention those tabs "It's kind of a hard pull, since each relay is secured in place by a couple of plastic tabs". I'll opt out so others may try to help you. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will send you back to me.