Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

01 accord v6 coupe. 187000 miles. Check engine light came on

Customer Question

01 accord v6 coupe. 187000 miles. Check engine light came on earlier today. After letting it sit for a while, started it up & once it started to warm up, I cranked the heat to max, moments later it started rumbling & the CEL started flashing, I also noticed an odd smell not long after. Possible problems? Level of severity? Thanks in advance
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I may need to ask some questions before I can give an answer. As much detail as possible is greatly appreciated.

If the check engine light is flashing it's misfiring. The flashing is a warning that the catalytic converter could become damaged from raw fuel caused by the misfire. I would avoid driving it as much as possible until you have found the cause of the misfire. The first step would be to have the codes read to see if it's just one cylinder or multiple cylinders misfiring. It can be a bad ignition coil, spark plug(s), or a stuck open EGR valve. Once you have the code information you will have a good idea where to begin. On this year Accord V6 coil failure is pretty common. Stuck open EGR valves are also common but usually cause the misfire at idle or close to idle speeds.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have all of the advice and help you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man