Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 1999 Honda Civic. The front subframe was completely

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Honda Civic. The front subframe was completely rusted out. I found a replacement and installed it. Initially after the repair, I tried starting it and it would barely crank. I determined that the shift linkage was not properly positioned (it may still not be correct). I have removed the axle shafts and checked to see that nothing is binding up the transmission. What am I missing/ what should I check/do next?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

Will the engine turn over easily by hand? If the engine turn by hand you may have a voltage drop in the starter circuit. Let me know the VIN for this vehicle and whether is manual or automatic transmission.

Let me know
Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is an automatic, and the VIN number is:VIN: 1HGEJ6671XL031116
Body type: 4S Date of Manufacture:3/99
Vehicle Year: 1999 Vehicle Make: Honda Vehicle Model: Civic LX Automatic transmission
I have not tried to turn the engine by hand. However, I have noted that I can turn the wheels/tires (it is up on jack stands) even though the transmission selector indicates it is in park. That is why I suspect the transmission is not actually park. I am not certain on how correct/move the shaft on the transmission to ensure it is in park.
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. The wheels will turn with the selector in park. Only difference is one wheel will turn one way and the other will turn the other. When the wheel are on the ground the vehicle will not roll due to the counter spin of the wheels. If the shift linkage is out of adjustment the park neutral safety will not allow the vehicle to crank. The shift cable replacement procedure is in the link below.

Shift Cable Service and Repair

Adjusting the shift cable may solve the problem.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.