Tracer3
Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Honda owner, Shop owner foreign/domestic
13677702

On 2/14/16 my car wouldn't start. it was really cold so I

Customer Question

on 2/14/16 my car wouldn't start. it was really cold so I figured it was just the battery. I got a jump start and the car was fine. about 2 weeks later it happened again. it was a cold morning again...not quite as cold. I got a jump start and the car was fine. yesterday it happened again and it was not cold out. I figured it must be the battery. I went to autozone and they tested the battery and the guy was trying to be helpful but said the battery wasn't reading that it wasn't good. he said "well it doesn't say its good or bad. its reading about 40%." he said its probably my alternator. so he said he would check. he did another test and a code came back about the voltage (I think regulator) failed. he said that means its probably the alternator. we priced alternators and they are $200. I decided to try and do some research to see if it might be something else instead. should I start by replacing the battery and see how it goes or is it truly the alternator?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Honda Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i am hoping to get the parts myself and have a friend put it in
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: not really. i drive a lot though. i use it for work and it has 90,000 miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 9 months ago.

hello, how long has it sat when the battery was low? just overnight? do you own a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just overnight and I dont
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 9 months ago.

thanks, ***** ***** I could have you do your own simple testing, My thought? am rather confident on this? you have a failing battery and not and alternator, When an alternator begins to fail? it stops charging the battery so,, you would experience a low battery each and everytime you shut car off. alternators rarely charge one second then not the next , they generally just stop charging and each time you shutoff? it will need a jump as well as things would slow down while driving like blower, headlights, wipers and the computer would begin setting codes related to low volts, I think why the code for regualtor is the alternator is trying to charge a bad battery and strains to do so and set that code. I could be wrong but , by description , symptoms and so on? you have a battery going bad, They can act like this at different temps and so on, alternators generally just stop charging and you would have starting problems everytime you drive, I am near 99% its time for a battery

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you! I will get a new battery.
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 9 months ago.

I really feel this is all it is,

Please remember to leave feedback etc for my service I provided and thanks, ***** ***** you have any followups