justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

My speedometer stop working on my 1998 Honda accord, Cruise

Customer Question

My speedometer stop working on my 1998 Honda accord
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Cruise is not working replaced the vss
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: On vss connector was a little corrosion
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: Engine light is on p500 code
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Honda Mechanic will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Do you have a multimeter to do some electrical checks?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Is this a manual or automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Manual

Great. Give me a few to look over the wiring diagram and give you something to check.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok

Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

You will need to jack the front end of the vehicle up for this check. Turn the ignition switch ON. With the VSS connector plugged up to the sensor you need to back probe the Blue/White wire. This is the input. Block the passenger wheel so only the driver's wheel turns. Before turning the wheel you should see either 5 or 10 volts on this wire. When you start turning the wheel by hand the voltage should fluctuate. This indicates that the sensor signal is changing with the wheel rotation. If the voltage stays consistently on 5 or 10 volts this means that the sensor signal is bad. I would replace the sensor. If the sensor you installed was not a Honda, but some sort of aftermarket brand I would replace it. Aftermarket sensors don't seem to hold up quite well. Let me know what you find.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting questions to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks!