Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have an 02 honda accord 2.3L i replaced the timing belts,

Customer Question

I have an 02 honda accord 2.3L i replaced the timing belts, water pump and head gasket over the weekend and got it started after many attempts. The idle rpm's fluctuated between 600 and 3,000. I taped on the IAC valve behind the intake manifold and idle leveled out but ran real rough. It then threw 3 codes.
P0505 (iac valve system fault)
P0117 (ect sensor circuit lower input)
P0302 (cylender #2 misfire)
Now the car will turn over but will not actually start. I checked the cylender compression and they are all reading about 138 to 142 psi. So pretty sure is not valves/gasket/head. I'm running out of ideas. Even with one cylender down it should still run. Just not very well.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you have not checked over the engine for any vacuum leaks this needs done.If any leaks are found this can cause the engine to run lean and cause the iac fault as well as idle fault and misfire.The ect code may be an issue with the engine coolant level not full or the code set at first start up after the repairs were made and may just need cleared out with a scan tool.

If there are no vacuum leaks found let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be my next course of action but the car will not start now. It will only crank over and over I was thinking i should check the spark. But when i pulled the plugs out they were dry as a bone. So I'm wondering if they are getting fuel. It's the only thing i can think to check. If i was getting fuel and no spark then the plugs would be wet with gas. As i said earlier. I have even compression in all cylenders.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you clear out these codes then crank over the engine which codes come back again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0117 and p0302
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did you make sure all engine wiring is connected properly to all components on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't unhook but a few connectors. I had to unhook the injector plugs of course, and the engine coolant sensor underneath the distributor, and the two hoses in the top of the valve cover. Most of them i was able to move far enough out of the way to get around.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What doesn't make sense is that the car would stay and ruin and now it won't. I haven't done anything since it was running but pull the spark plugs and check cylender compression.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you re checked to make sure timing is set correctly and all components with the timing were installed correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All timing marks were lined up on #1 tdc. Unless there is a way to adjust the ignition timing. The housing and cap were fixed. No adjustment that i could see could be made.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this is a difficult question for me to answer myself here but others here may be able to help more.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete