Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe 2.4L and while I was

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe 2.4L and while I was driving my dash lights came on, then everything went dead. The dash lights turned off, the radio and clock lights turned off, the needles(fuel & temp) went down and then the car continued on. Then they came back on. do you have any idea what this might be?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda

and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

The problem you describe is a classic symptom of a failing alternator. When the charging voltage drops low enough you will get all of the crazy electrical problems. I have seen this in the shop and here online many times. I would make sure the battery cables are clean and tight on the battery first. Make sure the alternator belt is OK too. If all this checks out the charging system (alternator) will need to be tested. Most auto parts stores can do this for free. My guess is you have a bad alternator.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this

page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and

the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free

so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

also, when I turn on the a/c the radio lights go out and the whole cluster. Once I turn off the vehicle, the car will not start unless it is jumped. Can this be related to the alternator as well?

Yes it can. When the A/C is on it draws more power from the battery. If the alternator is not charging properly using the A/C will make things worse. Having to jump it just proves the alternator is not charging the battery.

Thanks again, please kindly remember to rate or accept my answer and advice.

Honda-Man