Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My name is ***** ***** i have honda accord 2000 2.3 stick

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** i have honda accord 2000 2.3 stick with a code p1382.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When my car is on idle and in gear the car hesitate we clear the check engine and come back right away
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Honda generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda

and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

DTC P1382: CYP Sensor No Signal. The cylinder position sensor(CYP) is built into the distributor housing. It's one of the sensors the engine control unit uses to manage the fuel system and distributor spark. It will cause your problems when it fails. it's a common code that can be fixed by replacing the distributor. Cost for the distributor ranges from $70 to $237 at O'Reilly.

If you want instructions on how to replace the distributor just ask!

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this

page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and

the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free

so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we replace the distribuitor but is the same problem,check the wires from distributor to ecm for short to ground or a open they seem good,ck ckp sensor and signal is fine,tdc sensor ok too,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also clear the code and disconec alternator bu no change the code returns immediately I start the car,

Thanks for the extra info. The Honda diag. recommends checking the spark plug to wire connection then checking the plug wires themselves. It can cause interference issues. Corrosion at the plug or an open(resistance) in the plug wire. Never had one with this problem but it does recommend checking it. If that's all OK you must have a bad ECM. Possibly a loose female terminal?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the ignition wires are no't old,the spark plugs are new,is there any way to chek the ecm and make shuere is bad?

The way to confirm it's bad is to rule out everything else. If you have good continuity, no grounded wires, new distributor, etc.

You might open up the ECM and look for any obvious problem. Sometimes you can see damage to the circuit board or smell burnt electronics. Look where the terminals are for the sensor and trace the board. Just be careful of static discharge. In the shop we rule out all possible causes before replacing ECM's.

Thanks, Cliff

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
or are there another possible sensor or anything can cause this problem?

Did you check continuity from the ECM through the sensor? You said the sensor checked what was your ohms valve? It should be(###) ###-####ohms. The code is for a complete loss of the CYP signal. That would be like excessive resistance or an open circuit. EX or LX?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the resistance was 900 ohms,and continuity from the ecm to sensor is fine,no shorts or open,if I try to rev the gas pedal thas not pass 3000 rpm and start like surging

Your test results are normal for sure. The surge is probably thew rev limiter. When some sensors fail the red line rev limit lowers considerably. It's going into limited mode or safe mode.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I saw a video on you tube about some people fixing the problem cleaning the intake, would you consider that as a possible cause?

Can't see how that would solve a problem with the CYP. it's going to be related to the sensor resistance a wiring issue or the ECM. The code sets because the ECM monitors voltage drop on the circuit. Increased resistance an open circuit or intermittent resistance problem sets the code not a dirty intake.

Sorry but it looks like a bad ECM. I understand how you feel I would try anything to avoid replacing it too.

Thanks, Cliff

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if I buy a use ecm will I need some kind of reprogram?if It does how much will cost?

Yes the replacement ECM will need to have the keys or immobilizer programmed before it will start. Mobil locksmiths can come to you for the programming. Not sure what they charge? Should be under $100. The ECM can be sent out for repairs to avoid the programming. I would make sure they know what code issue you are dealing with. This site claims to do the repair for $134. They charge $99 extra because of the immobilizer system. Ebay used control units vary in price. They would need to be programmed. Here is one for $73