Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

Windshield wiper motor seems to be running but wipers 't

Customer Question

Windshield wiper motor seems to be running but wipers don't move. May have been stuck in ice.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Got into the car yesterday. Snow and ice covered the windshield. Had the defrost on for a while then switched the wipers on. Something popped and they didn't move.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Honda generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

May I have the year and model of this vehicle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
VW Tiguan 2010
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Great, thanks. Ok. If the wipers were frozen and then you heard a pop, it sounds like the problem is going to be the Wiper Linkage (aka Wiper Transmission). What happens here is, the wiper arm tries to move and if the linkage cannot push it, the "pivot ball" of the linkage pops out. It's a plastic ball in a metal housing. Sometimes, you can pop the ball back in, but more times that not, it pops right back out again and Linkage replacement is needed. The linkage sells for around $361 (and comes with a new motor) and the labor time guide calls for just under an hour to complete the job. You can get a look inside and inspect the linkage by removing the chamber cover. For an image view of this, click here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/n15ox5u3nlrjmgc/vw-linkage.jpg?dl=0 - the red arrow points towards the linkage location inside. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in and see how you made out? Were there any other questions you had on this issue?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

..