Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I got a 2004 Honda Civic coupe ex. Car drive great until

Customer Question

I got a 2004 Honda Civic coupe ex. Car drive great until engine shut off on me at a red light. I try start the car again but only it will try to turn but won't start.push it to a gas station then next morning I start the car n it started drove it home n turn off the car n try to start it again but it won't start. What is wrong? Is my coils going bad, my fuel pump going out?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** most common thing to fail causing this symptom is the fuel pump. To know for sure you will need to test during problem. Next time it happens again spray starting fluid in engine to see if it runs on the starting fluid, if so then this proves problem is fuel related and you will want to replace the pump. This is about a $500 job at shop depending on where you go. Let me know if you have more questions or would like replacement instructions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nope I spray but not starting. It's trying to but not starting.pleasee help
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Does radio shut off when car shuts off?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Ok, then that means the ignition switch has failed. This is a common problem on these vehicles. The radio gets ignition power so radio shutting off proves ignition switch has failed. I didn't suspect ignition switch at first since problem only was happening at stops. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't quite understand that. I mean wen I put in key to to second spot before turning the radio clock blinks but don't if that have to do anything with it. O n the driver side power window won't work but passenger side do.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I start it wen got home awhile ago n engine stayed on for like a minute or so n the engine just shut off but all the light stay on didn't pay attention to radio .
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

When vehicle shuts down does radio shut off? I'm not talking about when you turn off vehicle with key, I'm talking about when vehicle shuts down like described in problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Wen I take key out yes radio is off
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

That is normal, how about when the vehicle stalls/shuts off?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The car didn't stall. Engine was on then it just shut down. But the lights n stuff still on. Engine just died.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

When engine died radio was still on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Didn't notice. But wen I get the engine to start again I'll pay close attention to it
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Ok, let me know. If radio is still on check for spark at spark plugs. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Engine dies radio still on. No spark at coil
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Ok, make sure black/white wire going to coils has power during problem. If so I'd go ahead and replace the crankshaft position sensor. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had unplug the crank sensor n it start right up. Now I just have to remove stuff to replace it and hopefully that's it!!!will keep u up to date
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I finally had time to change the crank sensor. Car start right up!!! But now another problem accur. I can rev over 3500 rpm. Please help!!!
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Good to hear it at lest runs now, symptom you are describing usually means the catalytic converter is clogged. Remove front oxygen sensor completely from exhaust to relieve pressure, if that helps and allows engine rpm to go higher you know converter is clogged. Let m know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did that n it's not it? I wonder if they gave me a bad crank sensor?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

If it ran fine with no issues before and this suddenly happened after replacing crank sensor I think it would be a good idea to try a different sensor. Let me know how it goes, thanks.