HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

My 2002 Honda Accord does not shift out of park, doesn't

Customer Question

my 2002 Honda Accord does not shift out of park, doesn't start when I turn the key. It makes absolutely no noise at all. Is it some how locked because of my remote?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I used the key to unlock the car. I tried to start the car and absolutely nothing happens. No sound or anything. The ignition turned but the car didn't start. There was no power to the car. The car battery is pretty new, so it shouldn't be a problem. Is it a safety/security lock issue? If the battery in my remote is dead could that cause the problem? I could really use your help. Thank you
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Honda Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, if it's a simple fix. My car is parked in the parking structure of my condo building.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm going to try to replace the battery in the remote to see if that solves the problem. I don't know what else to do.
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Your Honda security system won't prevent the starter from working. Most likely the battery is totally dead, battery cables are loose/corroded, or the main fuse has blown. Can you please try the horn and lights to see if they work? The horn is on a different fuse and circuit so knowing if it works will help me tell you what's wrong.

Thank you, Cliff