Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I get a grinding noise only when backing up on my 2000

Customer Question

I get a grinding noise only when backing up on my 2000 Accord especially when it sits for a long time like first thing in the morning. It never happens when car moves forward. What could it be?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Is the noise a high pitch grinding noise? Front or rear of the car?

Thank you, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
front passenger side wheel area.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sounds like metal to metal
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
pls note. I am at work and may continue later today.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if I don't answer immediately

Thank you for the reply and information. No hurry, when you have time reply when ever you like. The most common cause of your noise is the disc brake pads have a metal tab or what we call a brake pad wear indicator. It rubs on the brake rotor when the brake pad lining is low enough to need replacement. They are noticeable at first only in reverse because of the design. As the brake pad wears more it will be noticeable all of the time. It can be a high pitch noise or a metal on metal noise. Honda brake pads are usually high pitch or like a humming vibration sound. Aftermarket pads seem to be more of a metal on metal noise. The second common cause is a rock stuck between the brake rotor and it's protective backing plate. It's commonly called a rock stuck in the brake caliper. Happens a lot during winter weather because of the gravel on the roads. it's a really awful grinding noise that can only be in reverse or can happen in both directions. Either way it's going to be in the Rt front brakes. Either you need a brake job or the rock removed from the caliper. Neither is immediately dangerous or should prevent you from driving it."BUT" I would go to a repair facility as soon as you can just to be safe.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took it to the shop where the brakes were done and they cleaned it out all four. The noise went away but n.ow is back. Could anything else be causing the noise?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also the brakes and drums were replaced a little over a year ago. Do they wear out that fast?

Shouldn't wear out that fast unless you drive a lot? Also cleaning out the brakes would not temporarily quiet them if they were worn out.

Maybe they missed the rock? They can be hard to find sometimes. Seen it happen many times. Missed a few myself and seen my co-workers miss them. A tiny rock can hide between the caliper bracket and caliper. It can fall away from the rotor when inspecting them and then roll back. Maybe a new one got in there? We used compressed air for a while to blow out the rocks but it sometimes just moved it and it would come back later. I would go back and ask them to remove the caliper and it's bracket. My guess is there is a rock still there or a new one.

Thank you, Cliff

Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thank you, Honda-Man