Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2001 honda accord and I put in drive and it won't

Customer Question

I have a 2001 honda accord and I put in drive and it won't move and it won't reverse but if I put in nuetral it drives. Then I was driving and I pressed the gas and it wouldn't do anything so I pulled over and only gear that works is reverse what could be wrong
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

First the fluid level needs to be checked. If low it will slip and cause your problem. If it's found to be low there must be a leak somewhere. Worn out differential bearings are a common source of leaks and fluid contamination(see attached information). The condition of the fluid will also give an indication of what might be wrong. If the fluid is brown, and smells burnt the clutches are slipping. This is a bad sign and means the transmission is in need of overhaul or replacement. Another common problem is from debris or clutch material buildup blocking fine filter screens preventing hydraulic pressure. The filter screens are non serviceable and if restricted require transmission disassembly to clean. In most cases the problem you describe is bad news. I have replaced so many transmissions in this generation of Accord for problems like you describe.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man