justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

I just replaced the battery on my 2009 CRV and now a smoke

Customer Question

I just replaced the battery on my 2009 CRV and now a smoke is hissing out of the passengers side of car. It hisses and smokes for a few seconds then stops then hisses and smokes again. No warning lights are on the car is not overheating. What is this?
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Is this smoke inside or outside the vehicle? Would you be able to take a picture or video of the area and post it to this thread?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure I can video it but it is coming from under the hood. It seems to be on the passenger's side of the vehicle but I can't locate it. It also came in through the car vents when the air conditioning was on.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

If you could take a photo of the general area I could more than likely make some determination as to where it is coming from

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the car running now and will try to get a photo or video. I'll check back in a second
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has been running for 10 min with no problem. I guess the issue has worked itself out.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes the a/c compressor pressure will get high and blow excess refrigerant out of the pressure port. The compressor will cycle on/off, on/ff repeatedly until the pressure stabilizes. That is the only thing that I can think of that would cause those those sort of symptoms. The compressor is located on the passenger side as well so it would make sense. If it does it again I can help with further information regarding the compressor pressures. If you are happy with my information, and response time please rate me positively. If you need more help just respond back to this thread. we can keep chatting at no extra charge. Thanks