Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2003 Element ex all wheel drive: While driving along all of

Customer Question

2003 Element ex all wheel drive: While driving along all of a sudden the yellow engine light comes on and I get a split second loss of power, car chugs heavily then goes back to normal these episodes are sporaticly
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all and if so what are the code(s) that are coming up with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Phone is probably better but texting is fine - it just takes a little longer to text as I have Parkinson's Really your preference
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I will offer a phone service here if you like.You can accept if you want or we can continue here its your choice.Reply here if you would rather work here on this or accept the offer for the phone call if you want to speak on the phone.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Lets stick to text, the code that comes up a one mechanics P2646 I am going to call the other mechanic and will advise you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It will be a few minutes before I get the other mechanic - be with you asap
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k. no problem.

This code sets when a fault is detected with the rocker arm oil pressure switch circuit.

Let me know what the mechanic has tested and replaced or done here so we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,reply when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both are test driving a car; one of the mechanics is in So uth Florida, the other is in Conway, AR. Bare with me - I am calling them again
Nick
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

No problem and no hurry reply when your ready anytime.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The Florida mechanic replaced:
VTC switch
oil pressure switch
Computer was tested and checked out goodNow calling the Arkansas tech
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what the other tech has done when your ready so we have all the info we need.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The Arkansas tech replaced the entire varable timing unit which included the oil pressure switch
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,I have been looking through the fault code info on this here while I was waiting and then added in what these technicians have already replaced for this issue.This leaves either a wiring fault leading from the variable timing unit components to the ECM/PCM like a wiring fault from the oil or vtc switch or at the PCM/ECM needing located and repaired.I would have the wiring checked over to see if you have any shorts to ground or voltage or any corrosion.

If this is found to be o.k. then the fault is in the ECM/PCM itself with it needing replaced to correct this fault here.I have seen some of these ECM's fail in the past before needing replaced and most likely you will not find any shorted wiring and this will most likely need replaced.

Even though the computer was checked and found o.k. it may have been checked when the fault was not occuring making it look o.k. at the time.

I would start with the wiring being checked and if o.k. then the ECM/computer needs replaced.

The cost for this with an auto transmission is around $650 and for a manual transmission around $450.Labor to have replaced is 1.4 hours labor.A dealer will have to program it once it is replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will share this with the 2 techs and see what they think - do I rate you know is there a special are for rating or just use the reply box.Thanks for your help
nick
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome

You can rate now if you like and if you need to you can still come back here and reply for anything you need for the same fee that was already deposited.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you ever get the feedback I sent and get paid for what you did? Even though nothing was done as both tested the
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I never did receive the feedback or rating.You can post your feedback/rating here if you like.

Thanks Pete