Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My accord just 'immobiliz'. I see there's a code to

Customer Question

Hi my accord just 'immobiliz'. I see there's a code to remobilize it?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately when this occurs here this requires a dealers HDS machine plugged into your vehicle to correct this fault.IN allot of cases when it locks up like this here this can indicate one of the theft components has failed and has caused the vehicle to immobilize.What should be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this has been done the codes can then be diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.This needs done with a dealers scan tool or a compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model here.

Here is the procedure a dealer or authorized repair center has to follow to learn in the theft components or relearn the theft system to correct this here.

1. Prepare all new keys and have the immobilizer PCM code. 2. Connect the HDS to the data link connector. 3. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II). 4. Select IMMOBILIZER from the SYSTEM SELECT menu. 5. Select Add and Delete keys, then ALL KEYS LOST. 6. Do the registration according to the instructions on the HDS screen. 7. Check if the engine can be started by all the registered keys. 8. When prompted by the HDS, do the keyless transmitter programming.

Or

1. Have a registered key, a new immobilizer key, and the first password ***** the iN system. 2. Connect the HDS to the data link connector. 3. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II). 4. Select IMMOBILIZER from the SYSTEM SELECT menu. 5. Select Add and Delete keys, then Add 1 key. 6. Do the registration according to the instructions on the HDS screen. 7. Check if the engine can be started by the newly registered key. 8. When prompted by the HDS, do the keyless transmitter programming.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Pete.The strange thing is I waited a bit and tried the key again and it worked, so I was able to get home. Why did it start working again?My other question is I read elsewhere on this site that the car can be remobilized via a code that I enter by releasing the parking brake a certain number of times, but that code is determined by my VIN. This info would be helpful if the car immobilizes again before I get it to the dealer. My VIN is 1HGCP26319A176618. Are you able to determine the parking brake bypass code with that?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

There is a brake code that can be obtained on some models to reprogram this here.Unfortunately I dont have access to this code myself here.You might see if a dealer can give you or sell this code to you as they might with seeing your VIN number and registration and photo ID.

Most likely whatever was acting up started to operate again and this is why it then started and ran.I would have the fault codes read out of all computers to see what codes are set and then from there it can be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.This should be done as I suspect it will act up and fail again at some point causing this here needing repaired to correct this fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey Pete,
I think I figured out the answer, and it didn't cost me a dime! When I was taking my key off the keychain to hand to the dealer, I realized a magnet had gotten tangled in the keychain. We tested the key without the magnet close by, and the car started. Then we tested the key with the magnet next to it, and the car immobilized. So there ya go!
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

That is something you dont see every day.Glad to see the fault has been located and resolved.If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help here if you like.

Thanks Pete