Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 95 Honda accord 2.7 l That i changed the

Customer Question

I have a 95 Honda accord 2.7 l That i changed the distributor, starter, ignition coil and it still will not crank I also check the main relay i was good
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the starter not engaging to crank over the engine with this issue here?

I this a manual or automatic transmission?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It and automatic. and what do you mean not engaging
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

When you turn the key are there any noises from the engine at all?Is the starter turning the engine but the engine isnt starting or is the starter not turning the engine when trying to start it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The starter is trying to start the car it makes a turning over nose but it does not completely turn over. I tried to use starter fluid to to see if it was the fuel pump, but that did nothing
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,do you have spark to at least two spark plugs when cranking over the engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
all of them are sparking and have been replaces the wires are new as well i check the ignition coil again and the new one is sparking too
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello, Are you still there?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Have you tested fuel pressure at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no I can test it but i tested the main relay
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,I have seen weak fuel pumps cause this fault here needing replaced before and is fairly common.You will need to have a fuel pressure test done to see if the vehicle is low on pressure.Below is the procedure and you may have to rent the tools needed from a parts store.If you cannot test this yourself someone will have to do this that has the correct tools for testing.Since you have spark there is a very good chance the fuel pump has failed needing replaced.

1. Relieve fuel pressure.

2. Remove the service bolt on the fuel filter while holding the banjo bolt with another wrench. Attach the special tool.

3. Start the engine. * Measure the fuel pressure with the engine idling and the vacuum hose of the fuel pressure regulator disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator and pinched.

Pressure should be: 304 - 353 kPa (3.1 - 3.6 kgf/cm2, 44 - 51psi)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1intnkihlv2j6ui/fu-01-24.gif?dl=0

4. Reconnect vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator.

Pressure should be: 245 - 294 kPa (2.5 - 3.0 kgf/cm2, 36 - 43 psi) *: If the engine will not start, turn the ignition switch on, wait for two seconds, turn it off, then back on again and read the fuel pressure. ^ If the fuel pressure is not as specified, first check the fuel pump. If the fuel pump is OK, check the following: - If the fuel pressure is higher than specified, inspect for: ^ Pinched or clogged fuel return hose or line. ^ Faulty fuel pressure regulator. - If the fuel pressure is lower than specified, inspect for: ^ Clogged fuel filter. ^ Faulty fuel pressure regulator. ^ Leakage in the fuel line.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engine wont start
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do i start in manually
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

You can test this pressure when cranking over the engine.If the pressure does not come up to at least 44 psi then the fuel pump needs replaced.If the fuel pump has failed there is no way to start it until the pump is replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Or give me a min and i will let you know what happens
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,reply when your ready.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just checked it and it is good!!!!
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Have you checked to see if the spark plugs are soaked with fuel?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no why would that happen and if that is what have happened how do i fix it?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

In some cases on start up the computer might over fuel the cylinders and can flood out the engine and cause this fault here.I have seen incorrectly reading engine coolant temp sensor cause this and in some cases just a slight over fuel on start up.

Remove the spark plugs and see if any are wet with fuel.If any are wet with fuel you can try and clean and dry them or replace them and then see if it starts then.

You can also try holding your foot to the floor on the gas pedal then crank over the engine to put the computer into a clear flood mode to see if it will start.If it does then release your foot from the gas pedal.If it doesn't then remove and clean or replace the plugs if they are soaked with fuel.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can this hurt the car.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The battery drains everytime I try to start it as well
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

No this usually won't hurt the engine but needs checked into and the spark plugs cleaned or replaced.At some point it can lead to fuel leaking into the oil with the oil needing changed.

The battery if weak will act up like this so it may need tested and replaced for this issue here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got it tested they said that it's fine
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

If the battery is o.k. And the starter has been replaced this can be a fault with one of the battery cables having high resistance or damaged needing replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now it's making a bubbling noise after trying to start it but still won't crank
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Where is this bubbling noise occurring,battery,engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not really sure but I think that it's the engine
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Have you removed the spark plugs to check to see if they are wet with fuel?

Is the engine coolant level low at all?

Is the engine oil milky in color?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no,no.. I clean the spark plugs
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Have you done a cylinder compression test at all to see what compression there is on all cylinders?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The spark plugs have gas on them and in still cleaning them what do I do after that
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,after you clean and dry them well before you reinstall them disconnect the spark from the engine or disable it then with the spark plugs out crank over the engine to blow out any fuel in the cylinders and let it sit for about 30 minutes and see if when the plugs are reinstalled and spark is enabled again if it starts and runs and let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How to discuss able the spark
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

You can disconnect the distributor and ignition coil to disable it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
From the sensors
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Yeah this should disable it especially if the coil is unhooked.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long to keep cranking the engine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It looks like it's flooding with gas
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Everytime it opens and close
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I would do this for about 15 seconds to blow out any fuel then let it sit and dry and then reinstall the spark plugs and see if it starts then.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have 5 more mins and will let you know
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Let me know how this turns out here when your ready.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It did the same thing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still doing the same thing
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Are the spark plugs wet with fuel again?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Why does it keep doing that?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I fix that issue
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Ok this indicates either the engine computer is shorted internally and is holding the fuel injectors open or that the fuel injector wiring is shorted to ground.Inspect the fuel injector wiring leading from the injectors and follow the harness and see if any wiring damage is found.If a fault is found with the wiring the wiring will need repaired to correct this here.

If no wiring faults are open the computer is shorted internally and needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Replacing the computer
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,I would inspect the wiring first to make sure there are no shorted wires as this can damage the computer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No don't see any damaged wires
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,some of these models have a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel injector rail.If this one does remove the vacuum line and turn in the key and see if fuel runs out.If fuel runs out then the fuel pressure regulator is at fault.If no fuel runs out and no wiring is damaged then I suspect the engine computer needs replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did all of that work and it's still doing the same thing
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Is it still flooding out with fuel when trying to start the engine to where the spark plugs are soaked with fuel?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
won't start
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is there anything pressing down on the gas pedal at all like a floor mat or does it seem to be stuck down at all?