Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have 94 honda accord lx. Problem is that the dash and

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****.......I have 94 honda accord lx. Problem is that the dash and tailights quit working. Replaced fuse and they worked for a while-----but now the tail lights and parking lights won't go off.....unless I remove the fuse. Someone told me that if was probably a faulty headlight turn signal switch on the column........just replaced it with a new one-------but it does the same thing. all other lights work ok ......brake lights.....and the headlights turn off and on like they supposed to....wondering what else could it be
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: to clarify.....the tail lights and parking lights come on.....but they wont turn off unless i pull the fuse from under the hood....15 amp fuse
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Honda generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

So no matter what they are on all of the time when the fuse is installed?

Do you have a security system installed under the dash? What happens if you unplug the switch? Do they come on right after you plug in the switch?

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do...not home at the moment...but I will try that in the morning
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** I will be online all day.

Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also notice that although I replaced the headlight switch......the high beams dont come on......but the indicator on the dash for bright lights does come on..... before I replaced the headlight turn signal switch.......the high beams didnt come on then either...but the indicator on the dash wasnt coming on
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Do the tail lights go off if the switch is unplugged? Did you check for a alarm or security system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car does have alarm underdash drivers side
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Most alarms flash the tail lights. I have seen all kinds of strange electrical issues when alarms are tapped into the wiring harness. I would remove it and repair any wiring where it was installed. That needs to be done before moving on.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.........will try that and see what happens.........bought the car used. I thought the alarm system come with 94 honda accords....it doesnt look like an aftermarket.......but I will disconnect it and see if that helps
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

There were some dealer installed security systems. They plugged in and were meant to be installed in the vehicle, no splicing or aftermarket control boxes. I have included a picture of a Honda control box(under drivers seat) for you to compare. Aftermarket add on alarms are the ones that cause all of the problems. I have included a picture of a aftermarket alarm(example).

Thank you, Honda-Man

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

If that does not help you can reply after the rating no charge for follow-ups.

Honda-Man