Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Have engine light on 04 civic auto tranny. Just replaced

Customer Question

Have engine light on 04 civic auto tranny for p0717. Just replaced turbine sensor any ideas what it could be? Car shifts rough. Fluid is clean transmission was just replaced.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Clayso replied 10 months ago.

Hi Scott, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

I've noticed your question has been open for quite awhile. I'm not so much a transmission expert but electrical diagnosis is right up my alley. P0717 is caused by an electrical circuit problem and cannot be caused by a mechanical problem in the transmission. Basically P0717 means the PCM isn’t receiving a signal from the speed sensor or it's receiving a signal and doesn't respond. Either the sensor is defective, there's a wiring problem and or a problem with the PCM. The link below is a diagnostic trouble tree to chase down these types of problems and find a solution. The PCM C connector in the flow chart is the black connector.

DTC P0717 Flow Chart

A scan tool is needed to check for codes and the PCM needs to have the latest software updates. The rest can be checked with a Digital Voltage Ohm Meter (DVOM). The flow chart refers to the turbine sensor as the input shaft speed sensor. There are 2 different flow charts, 1 for CVT transmissions and 1 without. The link below is the locations of the trans ID numbers. Let me know if it's a CVT. If you need any other diagrams or connector views let me know.

Transmission ID Number Locations

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just replaced the turbine sensor but I understand that there is another sensor on the front. The output sensor. Would that clear the code if I repaced that one? I know that the writing to the turbine sensor is good. I checked it with a test light.
Expert:  Clayso replied 10 months ago.

Simply replacing parts is not a solution to clearing DTC's. DTC's are Diagnostic Trouble Codes. DTC P0717 means there is a problem in the speed sensor circuit as a whole, be it the sensor, wiring and or the PCM. DTC's aren't simply codes to replace parts. This is the reason for checking the complete circuit (PCM,wiring and the sensor). DTC P0720 would set if there was a problem in the other sensor's circuit you speak of. That would be the Countershaft Speed Sensor, normally it sets P0720 when there is a fault in its circuit (sensor, wiring and or the PCM). Also never suspect a new part is a good part, always check the complete circuit, components and wiring included. Follow the diagnostic flow chart I sent you and you should find the problem.