HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

My name is ***** *****.2003 Honda Accord LX, rear taillights

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****.2003 Honda Accord LX, rear taillights both went out. Replaced bulbs, check 15 amp fuse for rear lights in engine compartment and it was blown. Replaced and the new fuse immediately blew. Seems to me either I have a short somewhere or maybe the taillight relay could be bad?? Brake lights Brake lights work when pedal is pressed, taillights work when activated, just the taillights do not work when the headlights are turned on. Dashboard light works, again just the taillights.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The 15amp fuse for the rear light circuit keeps blowing and my lighter socket has come loose in the past, could that be on the same circuit and maybe the short is there? I do not think it is on the same circuit and the lighter socket still works.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Depends, how long do I need to wait?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Fuse #4 in the under-hood fuse box protects the front corner marker lights, rear taillights, and license plate light(s). It does not supply power to the accessory socket. The reason the fuse keeps blowing is the red/black wire from the taillight relay is grounded(shorted) somewhere after the relay. The relay won't cause the fuse to blow. Somewhere the red/black wire is touching a bare metal surface or a wire that is grounded.

Has the car been in an accident? Do you have a trailer light wiring converter? Any damaged or repaired wiring harnesses? 2-door or 4-door?

Thanks, Honda-Man