Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My 2003 Honda civic lx is hard to start in the cold weather?

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Just how cold is it when it is hard to start? How long does it take to fire up?

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its hard to start from I guess 40 degrees and below. I've just had my engine rebuilt and ive noticed its been doing that since the start of the cold weather. could it be the intake valves to do that in the cold weather?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it takes from 5 to 15 minute to fire up.

The intake valves can cause a hard-start cold if they had carbon built up but not for 5-15min. It would be 10-15 seconds or so. They should have been cleaned up when it was rebuilt anyway. The basics need to be checked like fuel pressure and compression. If either is low it will have a problem starting when cold. Since it started after the rebuild I would have the compression checked. Another possible cause is a bad engine coolant temperature sensor(ECT). If it's not sending the correct temp to the engine computer it will start hard or take a while to fire up. Fuel pressure and compression testing is a good place to start, they need to be ruled out first.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man