Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 96 Honda Accord. While driving the alternator

Customer Question

I have a 96 Honda Accord. While driving the alternator stopped charging my battery. I checked the black and yellow wire on the alternator and I'm getting 12 volts. Could you point me in the next direction I need to go in. Thanks.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Before any more troubleshooting I have something for you to try. With it running smack the alternator with a solid object like a hammer. Most of the time alternator failure is caused by worn out brushes. Smacking it usually turns the light out temporarily. If this turns out the light the alternator is bad if not let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Thank you, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I smacked the alternator. Nothing happened

OK, do you have a V6 or 4cyl and I assume the charge light is on all of the time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a 4 cylinder. The battery light came on yesterday when my voltage started to drop and it has been on since

Thanks please give me a few min to look up the charging system information.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok.

I have included the troubleshooting steps and the wiring diagram. The Honda troubleshooting steps require the use of a charging system battery tester but there are still some parts you can do without it. If you have power to the black/yellow(key on) and large white output wire to the main battery fuse(all of the time) there is a 99% probability the alternator is bad. Most likely the voltage regulator has failed since the smack test did not work. Honda alternators in your generation of Accord are pretty straight forward. If the light is on and there is power to the alternator wires I mentioned it's bad. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The red and white wire has 4.9 volts and the green and white wire had nothing. Is that how it should be?

Yes that's OK. The red/white is a ECU reference voltage reading. The green/white should be zero. Neither one will cause a total lack alternator output they are so the ECU can switch the alternator from normal to high output.

Thanks, Honda-Man