HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I'm having a similar problem with my Odyssey 2004 LE (or is

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** *****, I'm having a similar problem with my Odyssey 2004 LE (or is it LX?). Say, I start the motor, press the brake pedal, attempt to move the gear shifter from P to R or N, but it simply won't I pump the brake pedal on/off, but still nothing - blocked. I leave it (turn off the motor) then, 10 min later, when I start it, it will work like nothing happened. Reading online about various people's experiences, I changed the brake switch (with a new one), but the problem is just the same.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is Paul
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I don't know why it says ***** *****...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. This is not a common failure on this model Honda. Let me look over the wiring diagram for the shift lock circuit and report back shortly. Thanks

When the vehicle acts up next time I need you to pay attention to the gear indicator on the dash. Make sure that P is lit up indicating that the vehicle is in Park. Let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure where to post my answer(s)... I had just answered to the first post by letting you know that, in fact, it seems a lot of people complain about this failure.
As for your 2nd answer, thanks for telling me where to pay attention next time :-) :-)
In fact, I've been monitoring those indicators, from P to D (and even D3, D2, etc) and I can tell you that it does that independently of whether P is on or off (and yes, at times when I pull the gear shifter no light turns on).
So, I took the car to a local Honda dealer (one that apparently is not so adverse to running tests the way Stevens Creek was), and hopefully we'll find the "bug".As for your answers, try harder next time - it goes without saying that I can't accept your answers and ask for my money back.

I didn't provide you an answer. I asked for information that would help me in determining a diagnostic route to take. I have to ask you for information so that I know how to go about pursuing the issue. It's no different than going to the doctor and having to fill out a form about what your symptoms are. Technicians have to know certain things before a diagnosis is given. Would you like for me to provide you with my 9 years Honda/Acura only experience, or do you want me to refer you to customer service refunds?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer Service Refunds, please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please refer me to Customer Service refunds. Thank you.