Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I just replaced a power steering pump and it is pumping

Customer Question

I just replaced a power steering pump and it is pumping because if I look in the resavoir I can see it churning. But the steering will got stiff after a test drive and will only work when accelerating.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Were you able to perform a system bleed on the new pump?

Why did you replace the old pump?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The old pump was grinding not whining but grinding so I replaced it and it fixed that problem but now the new pump will work for about a minute then stop
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Did you perform a bleed after the replacement?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I didn't. How do I bleed it or do you mean flush either I didn't do it after the installment I did flush it before
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Either way
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

After replacing the pump lift the front wheels off of the ground. Fill the power steering reservoir to the full mark and start the engine. Then turn the wheels all the way to the left and then all the way to the right. Repeat this about 10 times and then turn the engine off and check the fluid level in the reservoir. If the fluid is low, fill it back up and repeat the process until the fluid stops getting low. If the fluid is foamy, wait until the foam goes away and repeat the process until the fluid comes out clear. Make sure you are only using honda specific power steering fluid. This is important as most other fluids will not work correctly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because of me not doing that process will that cause the steering to keep stiffening
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Yes, if there is any air in the system it will make the steering stiffen. It can also damage the new pump.

The pump doesn't pump air very well, so when the air circulates through the system you will get a loss of power assist.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Didn't work I tried it twice. Now I don't think the pump is even working there is no fluid moving
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In the resavoir
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Depending on how much the vehicle was driven with air in the system it could have damaged the pump already. I have even seen the pump shaft snap in two if it was run long enough.

You might consider removing the pump and seeing if wherever you purchased it will warranty it out for you and then start over again.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

I wanted to check to see if you need any additional help.

If not, please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

I just wanted to check and see if you need any additional information.

Please rate if you no longer need any assistance.