Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech 34 years.
7276279

I was driving home this evening from a friend's house right

Customer Question

I was driving home this evening from a friend's house right down the street. It is very cold and there is snow/ice on the ground. On my way up the driveway, I noticed that the inside of car suddenly appeared to get smokey and there was an awful smell. Then, the red battery light appeared and it said: Check; Charge System. I pulled the car in my garage and turned it off. I popped the hood and didn't notice anything out of the usual, although I am not by any means familiar with what is considered unusual in a car. However, the burning smell still continued for a little while. I don't remember hitting anything on the road, but it may have slipped on the ice. I do intend to have it towed to the dealer tomorrow, but I am looking for some kind of answer just so I don't have to worry too much. BTW, it is a 2014 Honda Accord.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Start first with making sure the alternator drive belt is in place and is turning the alternator. If the belt looks okay then the next step would be to have the alternator and the charging system tested to see if its putting out normal charging voltage. Normal voltage at the battery with the engine running should be right at 14 volts. Check this and post back with the results and we can work from there if need be.