K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I was wondering if Honda EGR valve of the 18011 series,

Customer Question

Customer: Hi - I am Anatoly. I was wondering if Honda EGR valve of the 18011 series, which all look very similar, have similar connectors and bases, are interchangeable. These valves were used in 98-07 Accord V6, Odyssey V6, Pilot V6, and 00-06 Insight. I am particularly interested whether the potentiometer sensors in these valve have same resistance. Thanks for your help.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I need to replace EGR valve in my 2000 Insight, which has a worn sensor. I do not want to pay $215 for the catalog part if an equivalent can be had at $25 used.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has replied with the info you are looking for on this here.In some cases this is due to the info being difficult to obtain or the correct person that may have this info may not be online.This may be info that is difficult to find.You might try and contact the manufacturer and see if they will speak with you on the differences or similarities on how these were made here.If this is not an option for you or was already attempted let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Pete:
Thanks for your willingness to help. I will put my question in more simple terms. Can EGR valve from 2000 Honda Insight, p/n 18011-PGM-020, be replaced with other Honda valves of the 18011 series, for example 18011-P8A-A00, 18011-P8C-A00, 18011-P8F-A00, 18011-PGK-010, 18011-PXK-020, 18011-PXK-030? All these valves look the same, have the same connector and base, and use the same gasket. If these valves are not interchangeable, what are the critical differences between them?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

My info isnt showing for sure that these will work here.If they all look identical in mechanical shape including the pintle valve and connection then they may be the same.Some may take more voltage inputs to move the valve inside of it and this may be the difference here but its hard to say for sure.

The best way to find out is to contact a dealers parts department and they can look up your vehicles valve number then look and see which ones interchange with it.If none of these interchange then I dont recommend putting one on that isnt compatible or interchanges as this can lead to engine computer damage or failure in some cases.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete: I hate to say it, but your answer was not helpful. You answer is generic/not specific; I already knew what you said. I needed specific information on part interchangeability, which, it seems like, you don't have. Sorry I couldn't be more positive on this occasion. Regards, Anatoly
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** see your question is still open and I was wondering if you still needed help? We have a low mileage Fit engine here along with some accords and odyssey engines with the egr valve on them. I can take some readings and so forth to give you some comparisons if you'd like. Let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Justin. Now I know that mechanically the valves are interchangeable, but I am not sure about potentiometer resistances. I am sure you know that two bottom blades of the connector are for the valve solenoid, and the three top blades are for the potentiometer that senses valve close/open state. If you can compare close and open resistances of the poterntiometer between 00-06 Insight vs. 3.0L 98-06 Accord, that would answer my question. Thanks for your consideration, Anatoly.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

I can do that. It will have to be tomorrow when I get back to the shop. I'll be able to provide a fully closed resistance and fully open resistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great!
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

No problem

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Getting ready to try and run those tests for you. Been very busy here

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

the insight engine is no longer accessible. The best I can do is give you the resistance values of the accord valve. If that's not acceptable let me know and I will open the question back up for other techs to access. That valve is not a common replacement part so there will probably not be too many people that will be able to get you that reading.

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

I could also give you instruction on how to check those resistance values yourself if you have a multimeter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Justin: I cannot measure the resistances of the Insight valve because the potentiometer sensor is shot in my valve - no continuity on one of the 3 blades. This is why I need to replace the valve. Thanks for your efforts, Anatoly.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I went trhough the parts interchange and they will not swap unfortunately. The lowest priced one I could find new is 174.79 I will post a link to it here.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not end our conversation and follow up questions concerning this are free. Thanks!

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

You can also submit a search to an auto recycler network here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Professional: Your answer is generic and WRONG. I have obtained several used valves from 4cyl and 6cyl Accords, as well as one from friend's 02 Insight, the latter for a reference. I compared connector pinouts, bases, pintle valves, solenoid resistances, and potentiometric sensor resistances and found that they are all the same. The differences are in the orientation of the connector relative to the base, but Insight harness will accomodate different orientations. Moreover, according to the Insight Central forum, Accord EGR valves work fine in the Insight. So, fortunately, many of the valves whose Honda part numbers begin with 18011 or 18710 are in fact interchangeable with the 00-06 Insight valve. Generic Accord valves go for about $50. My used valves were $20-25 apiece, and now I have 3 of them. Thus, I have solved my problem myself and do not need any further input.Thank you for your effort to help.Regards,Anatoly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are the pictures of the valves:
http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/sser2/media/DSC_0204_zpsmpacvjh8.jpg.html
Left to right: 02 Insight aftermarket, 03 Accord V6, 99 Accord V6, 03 Accord 4cyl.
Bases are similar:
http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/sser2/media/DSC_0205_zpstk9fljpm.jpg.html
Left is 02 Insight aftermarket, right 03 Accord V6. Accord valve has smaller intake opening, but this is not important because exhaust gas flow is limited by the pintle opening. Accord valve, but not Insight one, can be taken apart using a T wrench. Pintle on the Accord valve can be turned by Allen wrench for cleaning; Insight valve does not have such option. Pintle travel and valve seat diameter are same on both valves, and they open to the same extent when 5, 8, and 12 V are applied to the solenoid.