Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

I have a 2005 Honda Airwave. At 25000kms it developed a

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2005 Honda Airwave. At 25000kms it developed a shudder in the transmission. A transmission specialist said it was a clutch in the cvt trans and quoted me $3000 to fix it. I took it back to where I bought it because it was still under warrenty. A mechanic there took it away was back in ten minutes and said it was fixed. I have now done 44000kms and the shudder is back. What did that mechanic do. What should I do. The warranty has expired.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like when it shudders. Usually on take off. Like between first and second gear. Especially on an uphill start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on? Does the shudder stop right when you let off of the gas pedal?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No lights come on. It shudders like I said prob between 1st and 2nd so I am accelerating. It doesn't do it all the time yet. But is getting worse by the day. The shudder is worse on an uphill take off. The shudder only last 1-2 seconds.

Thank you. Most of the time this can be alleviated by reprogramming the module that controls the transmission shifting. It is common to get this as the computer does not adjust the shifting as it should as the parts wear. If the transmission is too warn out then even the programming will not work. More than likely this is hat the first guy did that made it feel better for a little while. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.