Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

We have a 99 Honda civic EX that has power windows and

Customer Question

We have a 99 Honda civic EX that has power windows and locks. The passenger window sticks going down and up and the passenger lock cannot be manually unlocked unless someone lifts and drops the outside door handle first. There are some inconsistencies in how the power locks work from the drivers control too. Is this a typical problem with these cars and can it be remedied with some lubrication or does it required parts replacement?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

The passenger window sticking while going up and down, is either the motor or the regulator. If the window goes down and up significantly slower than the driver side window, it is the motor dragging and will need to be replaced. If it goes up and down at normal speed, but seems to catch(stick) at times, then it is a faulty regulator and that will need to be replaced.

For the passenger side door lock, the lock actuator is starting to fail and will need to be replaced.

Both these jobs will require removing the door panel in order to access and replace the faulty parts.