Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I'm working on a 2013 Honda CRV with an Airbag code E3-11

Customer Question

Hell
I'm working on a 2013 Honda CRV with an Airbag code E3-11 Front right side Airbag does not deploy by OPDS operation. The vehicle was in a front end collision with no deployment. Minimal info online regarding this code. I did find one forum saying replace right side Impact sensor.
Andrew
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

The Honda diagnostic steps for code E3-11 say to replace the SRS control unit if the code comes back after being cleared. The SRS unit has a built in impact sensor or safing sensor and if it records an impact this code sets. Even if there are not any other codes related to component replacement the SRS unit still needs to be replaced. I have included a screenshot of the official and complete Honda code E3-11 diagnosis. The code won't clear or go away until the control unit is replaced. Sorry for the bad news.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

I should have mentioned it's possible that a SRS unit software update could clear the code. It's a slight possibility but is part of the diagnostic process. Because this code came after a collision I doubt it will work. The Honda dealer is the only one that can perform the software update. Cost to try it is approx $50. Most dealers charge 1/2 hour labor to do software updates.

Thanks again, Honda-Man