Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Car won't start. It cranks over but nothing! Not the fuel

Customer Question

Customer: Car won't start. It cranks over but nothing! Not the fuel pump, not empty, not the injector. Happened once before, shut off while I was driving. Mechanic came the next day, he said it was flooded, but got it to start up. Took it into the shop, checked: pump, filter, spark, injector.... He said he could not figure out what it could possibly be....and the tank was full, and is currently about 3/4-1/2 full. Shut off while driving. It wasn't the alternator. After mechanic checked it, haven't had a problem with it since ( about a month) until today. Worked fine yesterday..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's a Honda Civic '97. Mechanic checked, but didn't replace anything.( about a month ago) He couldn't figure out the problem.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

By far the most common cause by far of stalling in your generation of Civic is a bad ignition coil or ignition control module(ICM). This failure will cause a no spark condition. After this happens flooding is common from the cranking trying to start it. It's also common for it to get to a repair shop and start up because it has a chance to cool down. Worn out spark plugs can cause coil and ICM failure. It can be hard to recreate but if your mechanic drives it long enough it will stall then they can check the spark and fuel while it won't start. If you want to try replacing something I would replace the plugs, Coil, and ICM. I see this problem in the shop and here online all of the time.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man