HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I tried installing an aftermarket radio, but after

Customer Question

I tried installing an aftermarket radio, but after Crutchfield sent me the wrong harness I had to put the factory radio back in until the new harness comes. Now for some reason I am getting nothing from the radio and cannot use the fob to open the doors (the red light does come on when the button is pushed on the fob).
Fuses seem to be OK and everything else electrical is working. When driving, I can press the lock/unlock button and it works, but it ceases to when the car is not started. I've tried disconnecting the battery, turning the key to ON and then reconnecting and still get nothing (although I'm not sure if this is the correct procedure).
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! I used to work for Ford and have installed factory and aftermarket radios in a number of different makes & models so I REALLY don't want to bring this into a dealer.
Trying to install the Pioneer AVH-X2700BS - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X2700BS/Pioneer-AVH-X2700BS.html?tp=20217
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is for a 2010 Honda Element EX
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Did you alter or cut the original wiring? Or was it just a plug and play harness adapter? Navigation?

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Cliff,I didn't cut the original wiring, just attached it to a Metra 70-7863 harness. When I realized I had the wrong harness, I disassembled the wiring and hooked up the factory radio to the original plugs. No navigation.The radio I have is here -> http://images.newcars.com/images/car-pictures/original/2010-Honda-Element-SUV-LX-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Interior-Stereo-Controls.png

Thanks for the quick reply and detailed information.

Did you check fuses under the hood and under the dash?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've replaced fuse 47 for the radio, etc (7.5) and the fuse under the hood doesn't look blown, worn out, etc but I haven't replaced that...worth a shot?

Might as well check or replace them? I have included the 2 fuse boxes and the location of any fuse that might cause your problem. #7 and #8 in the under-dash. #9, #13, and #16 in the under-hood fuse box. The wrong harness probably grounded one of the audio unit power wires.

#9 in the under-hood fuse box is a likely suspect. My diagrams might be different than what you have? Just use the 2 diagrams to find the location I have marked.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK great, I'll get these fuses in the morning and will let you know the results

Sounds good.

Thanks, Cliff