Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

I just bought a Honda Accord LX 98 and its sputtering when I

Customer Question

I just bought a Honda Accord LX 98 and its sputtering when I hit the gas, also it turns off at a low idle. It backfires occasionally. But when I do get it up to speed its fine till I slow down. I know nothing about cars. I'd really appreciate some advice
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. If the check engine light is not coming on then it may be something simple. It sounds like the throttle body may need to be cleaned or it just may need a fuel filter or tune up. Did you plan on doing any of this work yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shit man I hope it's nothing too serious. But it kinda depends on how simple it is. I've heard it could be the distributor or a timing issue as well. Do you think that's a possibility? Bc I really don't want to pay to replace the distributor if it's fine.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that it is one of those. The hard part is that you do not know the history of the vehicle. If you had a computer scan tool that reads engine data you could see some of the inputs to see what may be going on. I would start though by removing and inspecting the spark plugs and the inside of the distributor cap for work parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way you could call me?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Where I am currently at I cannot make a phone call. I would be more than happy to help you here though. I you prefer a phone call please let me know and I can opt out and allow someone else to help you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honestly man I've never used this site but I really would prefer to call and talk to somebody if possible. How would I be able to get in touch with another expert?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out and another one should pick it up. You can then request a call if you would like. Just make sure that you do not rate our chat as it will then lock to me and nobody else can help you. I will do this now. Good luck to you. If I can be of further help let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's going on?