Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist
Experience:  ASE Master Tech
3506196

2002 honda civic 1.7. Just aquired, was not running.

Customer Question

2002 honda civic 1.7. Just aquired, was not running. Installed a used engine. System not charging. Ckecked all the underhood and under dash fuses. They are ok. Installed a new Alternator. Still at 12 volts. It has 12 volts to the main lead to the back of the alternator. On the of the rear alternator the 4 wire plug ( black/yellow stripe, white/green stripe, white/blue stripe, white/red stripe ) only the black has 12 volts. I believe the white/blue is the dash battery light. I need direction on how to further repair this
Category: Honda
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

I attached a wire diagram for you to review. there is an eld in the fuse box which is an electronic load detector. it sense load applied and sends a signal to the pcm to turn on the voltage regulator. this needs to be checked to verify either the eld is bad or the pcm.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which fuse box? Underhood or under dash? How do u check it?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

as the diagram says, under dash fuse box.

you need a voltmeter and a test light.

you check the eld by removing the plug under it in the fuse block under hood. one wire will have 12 volts and the other two should have 4.5 volts key on. put the voltmeter between those terminals.

the pcm you would need a scan tool to activate the regulator

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. On the under hood fuse box I found a wire connector that has three wires. Black orange stripe. Green red stripe. And a black. But the diagram shows that the Black is a ground so maybe I am confused on what wires I should be looking at. Can you please clarify.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

black orange 12 volts

voltmeter between the other 2 is 4.5 volts. that check is done with the eld hooked up under the fuse box with key on

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The solid black wire is a ground. The black with an orange stripe has 12 volts the other wire, blue with red stripe has 3.78
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

the voltage is low. I would replace the eld and re test the charging system. you cn get it at honda for about 25 bucks. I have not seen any aftermarket parts store carry these.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if this signal is low will that cause a complete no charge situation? What is the exact name for the ELD? And where is it exactly located? Do you have a photo or description so I no what I'm looking for?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

it is the electronic load detector. it is on the other side of the connector you checked. it is held in by 2 screws. yes, if it is bad. no signal to the pcm to turn on the voltage regulator in the alternator to start charging.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.