Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I'm trying to remove a 2007 Honda Pilot alternator. A) I

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I'm trying to remove a 2007 Honda Pilot alternator. A) I can't seem to get the wire harnesses disconnected. I tried to squeeze them but seems I'm squeezing in the wrong place. B) I removed two bolts that hold the alternator in place but it still seems stuck on the lower side bracket even with the bolt removed. Ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: First, how do I get the wire harnesses disconnected from the old alternator without breaking them?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

The wiring harness connectors have a small tab that you press to release them(see images). It will be on the wire side of the connector. They can be a bit tough to release over time the release can become dirty making them stick. A small shot of lube or silicone spray seems to help. Even with all of the bolts removed the alternator is hard to get loose from the bottom bracket. I get many customers who have the same problem. A long pry bar or screwdriver between the alternator and bracket will get it loose. This happens because the bottom bracket has a sliding collar that gets wedged between the bracket and alternator. The alternator will be tight and hard to remove upward through the opening. I remove the front motor mount bracket and carefully jack the engine up with a block of wood on the oil pan. It takes approx 2-3 inches before it will come out the opening. Sometimes you will get lucky and not need to jack the engine up at all.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! Happy New Year ~Honda-Man