Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

2003 Honda odyssey ignition key is stuck in cylinder. it

Customer Question

Customer: 2003 Honda odyssey ignition key is stuck in cylinder. it won't turn nor come out
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I inserted my key to start the van but it is stuck there. I cannot turn the key or cannot pull it out
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

If it won't turn either direction or come out the lock cylinder and key tumblers are bound up. This is a fairly common problem on your generation of Odyssey. When the lock cylinder gets worn this can happen. I have a trick that will usually work to remove the key. Hold the key plastic grip with a pair of pliers instead of your fingers. Put moderate pressure with the pliers in the off direction like when you want to shut it off and remove the key. Use a hammer or solid object and tap-rap the key like you want to pound it into the lock. Do this while putting pressure on the key with the pliers. Most of the time the key will come out. It might get stuck again because the lock cylinder is worn. If this happens the ignition lock assembly will need to be replaced. If my trick fails I suggest calling a mobile locksmith.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man