Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech 34 years.
7276279

91 Accord EX auto w/about 350,000 miles. Was trying once in

Customer Question

91 Accord EX auto w/about 350,000 miles. Was trying once in my life to take a car to 500,000 but it seems to have finally hit the wall. I'm 68 , on disability & not much money so my choices are limited. I have been looking for the past several weeks for a CRV or accord that about 10 years old. The reason I finally gave up on my car was I thought it was a transmission problem but now I'm not so sure! Several things happened to my car before it almost stopped. It started with my car getting gradually slower taking off , you'd have to
get up to about 30 (maybe 3rd gear) before it would start to respond. My car also was having a hard time starting in the morning. At the end my car was barely moving in 1st
, not able to make up a very slight incline but on flat ground it would finally kick in & run .
The same when I start it. I can't even tell when it starts , no power , ect, but all the sudden the engine starts reving. I'm not sure if this is just coincidental but it's made me wonder if I might be having fuel pump and or fuel filter problems. or something besides transmission. The mechanic I've been using does not specialize in Honda's , but he is honest , work's for a low price and if you can put up w/the sarcasm he throws @ you all the time (LOL) he is pretty good. He is severely disabled w/legs so he has several older men that hang out there help him when he can't reach it. He lets me buy parts w/his discounts from his supplier or we use pull-a-parts. I would really appreciate any advice you could give me before I have the car towed to a mechanic or ditch it. Right now I have no way to get around. Thanks again, Bill (Simmons) Lafayette, La.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Bill, the problem you are describing does sound like your transmission has failed and with the amount of miles that is very likely. As long as the engine is still running okay you may be best served with having the mechanic try and find you a used transmission and have him install it for you. That being said I would at least have him check the car over to make sure the engine is still okay and runs okay and if so have him check the transmission and see if he can locate you a used one if in fact yours has failed.