Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist
Experience:  ASE Master Tech
3506196

I HAVE A 2002 HONDA CIVIC 1.7L THAT WHEN IT GETS UP TO TEMP

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2002 HONDA CIVIC 1.7L THAT WHEN IT GETS UP TO TEMP YOU CAN SEE GOOD WATER PUMP FLOW,TEMP STAYS IN THE MIDDLE, BUT WHEN YOU CAP IT AND TAKE IT FOR A RIDE IT BLOWS ANTIFREEZE INTO THE OVERFLOW TANK AND OUT OF IT THEN TEMP STARTS TO RISE, THIS IS WHAT HAS BEEN DONE,IN 2014 A NEW TIMING BELT AND COMPONETS,WATER PUMP SPARK PLUGS, THERMOSTAT,AUGUST 2015,NEW FAN CONTROL SWITCH, NEW RAD.-TOP OF RAD. WAS MELTED AND DEFORMED, NEW THERMOSTAT AND ANTIFREEZE AGAIN, DEC.04,2015, NEW RAD. MELTED AND DEFORMED AGAIN, DID COMPRESSION TEST ON ALL 4 CYLS. AFTER 4 STROKES MIN. 150 PSI, DID BLOCK TEST WITH COMBUSTION LEAK INDICATING FLUID, NO CHANGE IN COLOR, STAYED BRIGHT BLUE, BUT BUILDS A LOT OF PRESSURE IN RAD. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the first thing I would do is a leak down test on all cylinders. it definitely sounds ike you have a blown head gasket

Roy

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

WHY WOULD IT NOT SHOW UP IN THE BLOCK TEST? AND HOW DO I DO THE LEAK DOWN TEST?

Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

block tests are not that accurate. I have seen where there is white smoke at the tail pipe and it still passes.

the real way is to do the leak down test. you remove the spark plugs and insert shop air into the cylinder. take off the radiator cap during the test. watch for any movement of the coolant from the radiator. any movement at all indicates leakage into the cooling system form the cylinder

Roy

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

WHAT SHOULD BE THE MAX AIR APPLIED TO THE CYL. ?

Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

125 lbs.

Roy

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

yes, it's 125 lbs

Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

ok, and was there any movement in the cooling system??? did you test all 4 cylinders???

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

how are you making out

Expert:  Roy replied 12 months ago.

how are you making out???

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy