Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My car has not been driven 6 months. I tried to start it

Customer Question

Hi, my car has not been driven for approx 6 months. I tried to start it yesterday (battery was flat so attempemted to jump start. It turned over and the exhaust began to come to life, however it then stopped. I tried to start it again but it is made more of a whiny sound instead of what it usually sounds like when turning over. That is as far I have been able to get so far. It is a Honda prelude 5th gen. Do you possibly have any advice?
Regards, Adam
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda question!

I would first look to see if the distributor rotor and camshaft are turning. Might have a broken timing belt.

The whiny sound is most likely because it's flooded. If it takes too long to start fuel from the injectors will wash the oil from the cylinders. This causes a low compression condition. The fuel is 6 months old so compression needs to be at it's best for it to start.

With old fuel it will probably start but it will be a bit difficult. I suggest removing the spark plugs and replacing them with fresh dry ones. Squirt a little oil(teaspoon) down into the cylinders with the plugs removed. The oil acts as a temporary compression boost. Install the new plugs and crank it without stopping too soon. It might take 20-30 seconds so don't be afraid to try for that long. If you want to make sure it starts a little starting fluid will help.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please use the rating page and click on accept or the rating scale. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the required rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man