HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2004 honda civic ex 5 spd manual. Was driving slowed to

Customer Question

2004 honda civic ex 5 spd manual. Was driving slowed to negotiate a turn, down shifted while negotiating turn about 5 mph the engine cut off and will not restart. When trying to restart I can hear a whirring sound but nothing else. Batter is good, plenty of power.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

So is the whirring sound like the engine is turning over easier than normal? How many miles on your Civic? Remove the oil fill cap. Then have someone try to start the engine while you look to see if the camshaft is spinning? With a flashlight you should see the camshaft spin through the oil fill hole while the engine is cranking over. If it isn't spinning the timing belt has broken. Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks, Honda-Man