Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2009 crv with factory navigation. The radio keeps

Customer Question

I have a 2009 crv with factory navigation. The radio keeps cutting completely off, all vehicle lights will dim and several warning lights com on (check engine, ABS,VSA) and I have even lost power steering when this happens. I installed a new battery. That is when the problems started. I double checked and it is the correct battery for this model. All battery connections are tight and corrosion free.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

If your battery is new and the connections are clean and tight it's time to have the alternator tested. It sounds like the alternator is not keeping up with the draw on the electrical system. It's fairly common for Honda alternators to fail without the charge warning light coming on. If you have a voltmeter you can check the charging voltage(while running) as it's acting up if possible. A fully charged battery is 12.6 volts. Normal voltage with all accessories off is 13.5 to 15.1 volts. If the voltage when it's running is below 13.5 or the same as battery voltage(engine off) the alternator is not charging. If you don't have a voltmeter you can go to a local auto parts store and have them test it. They should have a tester that will work with the alternator still installed in the vehicle. When the system voltage drops too low you will get the warning lights, radio cutting out, and light dimming. The electrical items don't work well under low voltage conditions.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please use the rating page and click on accept or the rating scale. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the required rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man