HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

98 honda civic ex - dim battery light - have cleaned battery

Customer Question

98 honda civic ex - dim battery light - have cleaned battery posts checked conections - replaced altenator - used volt gauge to see voltage while driving - every so often it drops to battery voltage I turn lights on and off then ok ?????
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I need to perform some Q&A with you to better help me understand the issue. Please answer the following questions.

1). Is the battery light on dim all of the time while driving, or is it on only sometimes? Please be as specific as possible.

2). When you say it drops to battery voltage can you please be very specific and tell me exactly what voltage it drops to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery light is dim from the moment the the care is started. It stays the same level all the time no matter what the voltage is from the altenator.I start the car and the voltage meter I have in the power outlet in the car goes to above 14v. The battery voltage is about 12.3v.I drive for a while and at a stop the voltage reading may drop to 12.x. I turn something on and it comes back up to about 14v.The battery light stays the same brightness the whole time - when the reading is 14.x v or 12.x volts.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I'm not certain there is an issue with the charging system. It is normal for the alternator to charge at a very low rate on some Honda's until a load is applied. Is your biggest concern the battery light?