Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2004 Honda Odyssey and it died on me today coming to a stop!

Customer Question

2004 Honda Odyssey and it died on me today coming to a stop! Started it right up and brought it home. Tried to turn it on a few hours later and it immediately died again! I cannot drive it now because it immediately dies after I turn it on. What is the problem here?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

Sounds like a bad ignition switch. The electrical contacts wear and can cause a starts then immediately stalls problem. Try starting it and holding the key a little towards the starter(cranking) position. Just past the normal ON position. This is a good quick test because it uses a fresh spot on the switch contacts. Don't hold it too far you don't want to keep the starter engaged and damage it. If you can keep it running while holding the key the electrical portion of the ignition switch needs to be replaced.

This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the required

rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks I will check that hopefully tonight. What else could it be so I don't have to keep going back and forth to the computer?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

That's it for now. If I think of anything else I will send it along to you shortly.

Thanks, Honda-man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But why did it cut out when coming to a stop? It wasn't immediately started then.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Just finished looking over my technician info site. There is a recall for the fuel pump electrical connector corrosion. It can cause a stalling and start stall problem. The EGR valve can stick open and cause a stalling problem. probably more likely than the switch or the fuel pump connector. Remove the valve and see if it's stuck open when it is actually stalling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and how do I remove this valve and where is it? How will I tell if it's bad?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

The EGR valve is located on the engine near the oil fill cap. Remove it, turn it over and look for a gap between the valve and valve seat(see image). It's held down with two 12mm nuts and has a gasket that can be reused if it does not tear. Probably be a good idea to have one on hand. If it's running normal the EGR will probably look OK. Might want to wait until it's acting up before you look at it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry don't really understand how to look at a gap on a seat. Can you explain that differently. Thanks.
Also could this be a fuel problem? If so how do I check that.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

When you have the EGR valve off look at the bottom where it bolts to the engine. There are 2 openings one has a valve that should be closed with no visible gap between the valve and valve seat. The other one is open and goes through to the valve. Another way to test it is to try and blow through either opening. If you can blow through it it's not closed all of the way like it should be. The EGR valve is not meant to be open unless you are driving under a load like climbing hills etc. If it stays(sticks) open it lets exhaust gas into the intake manifold causing an over rich(too much fuel) condition and stalling.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I'll check it . Could this be fuel related?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Possibly a fuel problem but not likely. Fuel problems usually cause problems when you need power not at an idle or coming to a stop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok not she just installed. Keeps stumbling while on then recovers rpms. Eventually stumbles then dies.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

OK lets see what you find out after the EGR gets inspected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New egr is installed. I just said what it's still doing. If it's off idle there are no problems at 1200 tons and over
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I misunderstood. Without just guessing now I am not sure what else to recommend? I am going to open the question back up for the other experts, maybe one of them has your answer. Please don't reply back to me just wait for the next expert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this be a throttle position sensor issue?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light on? Does it run for awhile before shutting down? I seen at first you said it started and stalled right away but after replacing EGR it ran then eventually stalled.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no the check engine light is not on. there is no consistency as to when it shuts down. i can come to a stop a few times and the rpms will drop and sometimes recover , other times it will drop and turn off.

yes i was told it was the egr as the problem, we replaced it, same exact problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You were saying it was starting then stalling right away, is it still doing this? Or sometimes will it run longer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes sometimes it will stall right away. sometimes i can roll out and reverse it will stall, sometimes i can make it to a stop sign and it may stall, sometimes its fine for a few miles.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does it always restart right away or sometimes does it take awhile?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

put it back in park and fires right up

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does it only stall when coming to a stop or can it stall while driving too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it only has the possibility of stalling when rpms are low. So yes the likely hood of it stalling when coming to a stop is pretty high.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does putting vehicle in neutral and holding down pedal a little help at all or even keeping it in drive and trying to hold down pedal? Sorry about all of the questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes. If rpms are over say 1,000 it's fine... It seems.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

At this point I'd clean the throttle body and replace the idle air control valve. If that doesn't help vehicle will need to go to a shop with scantool to do more advanced diagnostics. The iac is located on the bottom of the throttle body and is responsible for maintaining idle. . Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

-