Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My 1998 Honda Accord will not engage in the D-drive gear and

Customer Question

Hi! My 1998 Honda Accord will not engage in the D-drive gear and a red ring around th D on the dash is blinking. Just started now-worked fine yesterday. Thanks!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

If you have a problem engaging in drive and the D light warning is flashing there will be a diagnostic trouble code(DTC) stored in the transmission control unit memory. This code will tell you basically what the problem is. Most auto parts stores will get the code information for free. Based on my vast experience with 98 Accord transmission problems it's most likely bad news. Most of the time if it won't go into gear and the light is on it will need the transmission replaced. 1998-2001 Accord transmissions were by far the worst in Honda history. I have personally replaced over 75 units. I would check the fluid level and condition. Low or very dirty fluid is also a indicator of transmission failure. If you want to get the code information and get back to me that would be OK. After the rating just reply when you have the code.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. Please click on accept or the rating scale. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. I will continue to help after the rating so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man