Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My Honda Odyssey 1995 ignition switch locked the key at acc

Customer Question

My Honda Odyssey 1995 ignition switch locked the key at acc and running position. When the battery is disconnected the switch unlock the key and turns as normal. Is there a relay damage?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An electromechanic connected a cable that start the engine when I connect this cable directly to the battery. However, the switch key remains locked at the on position. When I disconnect the battery cable the switch unlock the key but when I try to start the engine from ignition switch it doesn't start, I need to start manually.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

Make sure the fuse for the brake lights and horn is OK. This fuse is the same for the key interlock system. Look to see if the brake lights come on and the horn honks.

If the shift lever is not all the way in park or the switch(park pin switch) for park position is bad the key can't be removed. The park pin switch is part of the ignition switch/lock assembly. The solenoid that locks the key is also part of the ignition switch/lock assembly. If the fuse is OK and it's all the way in park most likely the ignition switch/lock assembly is bad.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. Please click on accept or the rating scale. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. I will continue to help after the rating so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man