Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  Shop Owner / Technician ,. 27 years experience,
29331485

I have a 2004 Honda pilot. It has a constant whining noise

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Honda pilot. It has a constant whining noise like a wheel bearing. I changed the wheel bearings and still have the sound. It is loud and is constant no matter whether I'm accelerating or not. When I hit a bump and the front end goes up and down, it sounds a little worse. When I had the spindles off and axle out of the hub, I spun the axle and it felt like a bearing inside the transmission was bad, like the bearings has a flat spot or something. Any ideas?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

This could well be the transaxle drive shaft bearing , this is not uncommon and we see this quite often with the Pilot with more that 150.000 miles .

Lift the front end and turn the wheel and get under and see if you can hear the bearings in the transaxle letting out any grinding noise

in some cases you can put your hand on the axle differential case and feel it .

Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is this bearing located? My pilot only has 102k miles. How difficult is this to change? When I had the front end lifted and the spindles off, I spun the passenger side axle and it felt like bearings jumping. I then went to the other side and turned the driver side with the same results. Do you have a diagram as to which bearing this is?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Which system do you have 2WD or 4WD

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4wd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 2004 Honda pilot EX 4wd
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay good thank you .

The transaxle has to be removed to replace these bearings .

this is a shop flatrate of 8.5hrs just to remove and replace the transmission .

The the work to replace the bearings is another 3hrs .

please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

A bad rating does not constitute a refund.

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By transaxle do you mean transmission? Do you have a diagram of the bearing?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

I've ringed the part that is normally the problem .

which is the Differential assembly.

Rgds Greg