HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Gals: experts only I have a 2002 Honda odyssey with a 6

Customer Question

Hello guys and gals: For Honda experts only
I have a 2002 Honda odyssey with a 6 cylinder engine. Car will not start. I looked at the cam timing set at crank at 0 degrees and left cam is in time and right cam is off 2 teeth. Now I took it in to a shop and they claim that the cam timing is right on the money. The only thing I can think of is I had it 180 degrees out when checking it and it only appeared to be 2 teeth out. In other words it was not on top dead center firing on # ***** but on the opposite cylinder. So if firing on # ***** or firing on the other cylinder (not sure which one if it is 180 degrees off) is it possible for this to be the situation. This is a serious question and who ever answers must be 100% correct. I also checked for codes and there were none! Even after cranking and cranking the engine over and over. They also said that a code was set for the crank sensor located at the bottom of the motor. How could this be? as I checked for codes! I have an excellent scanner Are they hoseing me? When cranking it even sounded like it was out of cam timing. You know it almost stopped cranking I am assuming because of the cam timing being off.
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you .

first off are you able to remove the two top covers so we can check the cam marks.

basic steps here if this is a timing issue