Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

My 2003 Honda Pilot will not start... It was fine at noon

Customer Question

My 2003 Honda Pilot will not start... It was fine at noon when I shut it off, at 330 when I went to start it, I turned the key and it will just turn and turn and turn, but never actually starts... Please help!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the spark box power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that fuel isn't getting through to the carb so check the filter isn't blocked