AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I think my power steering pump is failing. I hear a whining

Customer Question

Hello.
I think my power steering pump is failing. I hear a whining noise when I make left/right turns. I noticed a leak coming from the power steering pump reservoir when I parked the car. I left the car on idle and turned the steering wheel left and right. Then I turned off the car. I opened up the reservoir and fluid was flowing out of reservoir. It was foamy. Also, likely needs power steering fluid change. I have a 1999 Honda Accord Coupe 4 cylinder 2.3L engine.
Category: Honda
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The foaming fluid indicates that there is air in the system. This is most likely a leak at one of the connections on the pump. Let me get you a picture that will help you.

Ok. this picture shows on the pump where you should inspect.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htms94qhtzpglia/accord.jpg?dl=0

• Please be aware that any money you have paid is in a deposit account here on JustAnswer
  • and has not been paid to me. I do not get credit until you are ready to rate me at or above
  • 3 stars (I try for all 5 stars) If you do not feel as though you are able to rate me at or
  • above 3 star,please let me know and I will do everything I can to assist you until you are
  • satisfied. Follow ups are always free.