Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My honda accord 2007 ctdi is having trouble starting.

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

With the green immobilizer light blinking this indicates a fault is detected with the theft/immobilizer system on your vehicle here.The fault can be anything from the key itself at fault to the immobilizer/receiver at fault.Most common can usually be the key itself needing replaced and programmed but I have also seen the immobilizer/ecu/receiver fail to where it doesn't detect or read the key properly and needs replaced.

What you can try here if you haven't already is first make sure the battery has a good charge in it and the battery cables are all clean and tight.If these are all o.k. try and lock and unlock the door electronically with the key/remote and with the key blade (if equipped) and then see if the vehicle starts and runs.

If neither of these correct this fault here then either the key or immobilizer has most likely failed and what will need to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set and once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed and repaired to correct this issue.I suspect you will need either a new key or the immobilizer/receiver itself to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have previously tried all of the things you suggested prior to asking the question. I have owned the car since new so why should it fail now?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The immobilizer itself (receiver that reads the key) can fail suddenly like his here out of the blue with no warning.I have seen this as well as the key itself fail before for no reason and no damage occuring to either of them.Electronics unfortunately can just fail on their own like this here.

If you have already tried checking the battery and locking and unlocking the vehicle your next step is to have the fault codes read out to see what codes are set and then from there the codes are diagnosed and repaired to correct this.

This will be either the key itself at fault or the immobilizer/receiver needing replaced.Now if you have a second key to try and the second key acts the same way then this is not a key issue,it would be a fault with the immobilizer/receiver itself needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much should it cost to replace the immobiliser/receiver?
I have tried both keys and neither work. The fuses were all present and correct too. The car initially was not able to be jump started using my other car. But once I had cleaned fuses i was able to start the car by jump starting. When I turned it off though the same problem persists.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying once you cleaned off some fuses and then jump started it the car then started?If so if you do the same again does the car start then at all and are you sure the battery is o.k. as well as the battery cables being clean and tight?I just want to make sure here.Let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The batteries in both keys were changed and the red light is working on both keys. Which battery cables need cleaning? The ones in the key or the actual car battery cables? I'll try the car again in the morning as its late here now
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The actual car battery cables.If these are loose or corroded this can cause an issue with this here.If it does need a receiver/immobilizer my info isn't showing the exact cost here but this in some cases can run up to or around $500 to have replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyway of just bypassing the immobiliser? I'm not concerned about the security aspect as I'm sure it won't get stolen as its kept on my driveway in a peaceful suburb. Can you simply remove the transponder chip from the key? Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately on this model there isn't a bypass to eliminate this as this is all programming into the computers.There isn't a by pass out there and I wish I had better news for you on this here.The immobilizer fault would need to be repaired to correct the issue of the no starting here.

Thanks Pete