Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I am using my valet key, because my remote has been lost,

Customer Question

I am using my valet key, because my remote has been lost, and my Acura MDX 2001 keeps alarming. I used to be able to turn my key to the right, quickly, twice and the alarm would deactivate. That isn't working anymore. The alarm is now staying engaged no matter what I do. Is there any other trick to get it to stop? I thought about holding the key to the right for 4-5 seconds but I'm afraid the alarm will sound again
Also I don't have the tag with the code, I only have the radio code. How much will it cost to reprogram?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

Is the vehicle able to start with no alarm sounding?

If you do not lock the doors does the alarm still come on?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle will start but the alarm is still going and it goes off whether the doors are locked or not. It doesn't disengage with the valet key

An OEM alarm system when activated will not allow the vehicle to start. Since yours will start this tells me that the alarm has a good chance of being aftermarket. Getting new keys and having them programmed is about 150$

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris
The alarm isn't aftermarket. I took the car in and I had to get a keyless remote entry with a key for $350

Glad you got it resolved. Yours is the first car I have ever heard of that was running with the OEM alarm going off. Acura does not even list a symptom chart for that scenario.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell you the OEM going off was the culprit because Acura never actually stated where the problem stemmed from. This morning the alarm went off when I turned the key to the right; however, when I turned quickly twice to the right it stopped. I am by no means a mechanic but I was wondering if there was something wrong with the mechanism that disengages the alarm in the actual lock.I just found it weird I could stop it this morning when I could t before.Thanks for answering my questions.

At the ignition switch is a transceiver that reads the code inside the key. Since it was able to start, that means the computer was able to read the key and not declare you a thief. Its possible based on the most recent reply that the switch had or has a faulty key in switch which detects when a key is in placed into the ignition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While Chris couldn't tell me how to stop the alarm from occurring, he sure did try and pin point the problem so I would not go into the dealership blind. I truly appreciate that and would request him again, if needed.

Glad I could help, please take a moment to rate my response.

Sorry you were not pleased with my help.